[SI-LIST] Re: (probably naive) FPGA PDS questions

  • From: steve weir <weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: glennj+@xxxxxxxxxx, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 00:02:08 -0700

Glenn,

I'll take your questions out of order to try and make this more clear.

I don't advocate anything other than 100nF capacitors unless there is a
very specific purpose.

The number of capacitors/via holes, and the placement of the via holes
relative to the capacitor pads is what matters.

I am not a fan of the 4.7uF / 47uF the way they are recommended in that
app-note.  If you are going to try and do impedance by the seat of your
pants based on pins, pack as many 0.1uF caps as you can using good via
attachments.  Then figure out what your VRM is up to, and finally pick the
capacitance and ESR for your bulk capacitors to bridge the gap without
antiresonant peaking.

Core voltages on FPGAs tend not to be nearly as picky as the I/O supply.

Avoid exciting plane resonances by referrring all those 200MHz signals to
ground.

Regards,

Steve.

List FAQ wiki page is located at: