[SI-LIST] Re: local and global ground

  • From: "Gregory R Edlund" <gedlund@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: perry.qu@xxxxxxxxxxx, ldsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 12:48:25 -0600

Perry and Larry,

I was out of town last week, so I didn't read your posts until Friday.  I
have struggled with simple power distribution models in an attempt to get
my arms around what I know is a very complex problem.  Like Perry, even my
most simple simulations yield results that seem counter-intuitive to me,
i.e. I know we pass power and signals through connectors and don't see
anywhere near the amount of dv/dt noise my simulations predict.  I read
Larry's paper, "Simultaneous Switch Noise and Power Plane Bounce for CMOS
Technology," which was encouraging because it solved a basic problem using
a simple model with solid lab correlation.

I am attaching a simulation deck that I think encapsulates the problem
Perry posed.  If you run it you will see a 400 mV peak on the local ground
node.  That's 4/10 of the signal swing!  The connector inductance is about
15 nH, di = 20 mA, and dt = 0.5 ns.  Therefore, v = L di/dt = 600 mV, which
is in the ball park if this simple connector acts like a simple inductor.
However, I think I can build this configuration and measure something much
less than 400 mV, right?  In my case, I'm not convinced it's numerical in
nature.  I'm guessing that there is something else going on in real life
that I am not modeling.

Anybody have some insight into this riddle?

Greg Edlund
Electronic Packaging & Integration
IBM Server Technology Development
3605 Hwy. 52 N, Dept. HDC
Rochester, MN 55901
gedlund@xxxxxxxxxx

Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 16:37:20 -0500
From: "Perry Qu" <perry.qu@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [SI-LIST] local and global ground

Hi!

I tried to do some simulation in HSPICE on module connectors connecting
daughter card with the main board.  There is one problem I encountered
related to local ground and global ground node. Intuitively, I define the
ground on the main board as node "0" in HSPICE. The input ground node of
connector is tied to "0" through very small resistor. At the output side, I
used a node "module_ground", which is linked with "0" on main board through
connector model (parasitic RLCs). At the daughter card side, I then use
this "module_ground" as the reference point for device, transmission line,
etc. This actually simulate the real life and I expect to find out the
noise on the "module_ground" due to inductive/resistive pins through
connectors.

However, in my simulation, I saw excessive noise (high frequency and large
amplitude, which is definitely numerical noise rather than real thing)
using connector model from one vendor, and I got error message as
"inductor/voltage loop" using connector model from another vendor. By
changing reference node on daughter card from "module_gnd" to "0", the
error is gone. Wonder whether you have any experience to share on such
problems, especially with HSPICE.

Thanks
Perry

--
Perry Qu
Product Integrity         |      600 March Road

* connector di/dt simulation
* two pins from a straight-through header
* pins are 0.5 x 0.5 mm each at 2.0 mm pitch
* pin length = 20 mm

* vsrc is a ramp function with rounded corners

vsrc src gnd pwl
+ 0.00000000e-09    0.00000000e+00,
+ 1.00000000e-09    0.00000000e+00,
+ 1.00728536e-09    1.04749925e-03,
+ 1.01230955e-09    2.98950612e-03,
+ 1.01666498e-09    5.47700003e-03,
+ 1.02537584e-09    1.26837911e-02,
+ 1.04279745e-09    3.59374061e-02,
+ 1.07717645e-09    1.15284845e-01,
+ 1.11771131e-09    2.61263251e-01,
+ 1.15862179e-09    4.56881702e-01,
+ 1.20053422e-09    6.94177032e-01,
+ 1.24460769e-09    9.66125727e-01,
+ 1.29132187e-09    1.25672615e+00,
+ 1.32953060e-09    1.47916722e+00,
+ 1.34953058e-09    1.58539677e+00,
+ 1.37969661e-09    1.72766232e+00,
+ 1.44002855e-09    1.92984247e+00,
+ 1.48411775e-09    1.99502504e+00,
+ 1.50000000e-09    2.00000000e+00,
+ 2.00000000e-08    2.00000000e+00

rsrc    src   sig1  50

tline1  sig1  gnd   sig2  gnd   td=2ns  z0=50

xconn   sig2  gnd   sig3  gnd3  conn_2pin

tline2  sig3  gnd3  sig4  gnd   td=2ns  z0=50

rterm   sig4  gnd   50

*****************
*  SUBCIRCUITS  *
*****************

.subckt conn_2pin pin1_in pin2_in pin1_out pin2_out

c12a  pin1_in   pin2_in   0.1pF

l1    pin1_in   pin1_x    15.7nH
r1    pin1_x    pin1_out  0.01

l2    pin2_in   pin2_x    15.7nH