[SI-LIST] inductance, Q-factor of antenna for RFID tag

  • From: axel stein <stein_axel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 03:40:47 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,
I am looking into increasing inductance and the Q factor of the antenna for an
RFID tag. The antenna is etched on a printed circuit board. The antenna is
a planar coil, the conductor is basically rectangular shape (some slight taper
at the edges) and the traces are wounded in a rectangular shape with rounded
edges.
For sure, increasing the number of windings will increase L. But how will L and
Q react, if I widen the lines (line-to-line pitch constant = reducing spacing,
keeping all other parameters constant, ) or if I increase the copper thickness
(perpendicular to the PCB surface).

Unfortunately, I do not have a 3D solver that can help me answering these
questions. Anyone out there, that can give me some feedback?

Thanks for your help,
axel

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net