[SI-LIST] Re: Using S-parameter file for SI Simulations

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emcesd@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 21:59:12 -0500

Tesla,
Sure you can.  I model capacitors in 3D EM simulation all the time, and
have precise measurement correlation to my models.  I'll submit to you that
there is no effective way to fully de-embed the pads from a capacitor
measurement that reflects reality, due to the unshielded nature of most
capacitors.

Scott

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
16 Stormy Brook Road
Falmouth, ME 04105

(401) 284-1827 Business

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 8:06 PM, Tesla <emcesd@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Tesla
>

> At 2012-11-15 01:47:54,"Cristian Gozzi" <cristian.gozzi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >Hi
> >Yes, you have to include pads in your simulation.
> >
> >Usually S-parameter of capacitors do not include pads effect because the
> >parassitics of pcb used for measuring them are de-embedded with VNA
> >calibration
> >
> >Regards
> >Cristian
> >
> >Chip-Package-Board codesign
> >Infineon Technologies Austria AG
> >Il giorno 14/nov/2012 18:35, "Syed Razeen" <razeen_rulez@xxxxxxxxxxx> ha
> >scritto:
> >
> >> Hi ,
> >> I'v a few queries in SI channel simulations w.r.t to the usage of
> >> S-parameter files. When simulating PCIe interface ppl would have used
> >> coupling capacitors.
> >> When coupling capacitors is in the channel, we usually consider
> >> S-parameter files of the capacitor. When using those capacitors should I
> >> consider the pads in the channel's Transmission line.
> >> Whether the S-parameter file is a measured or simulated file the
> presence
> >> of PAD would have considered, so is it necessary to have the pad in the
> >> simulation.
> >>
> >> With capacitors in use, we provide a clearance to reduce the
> >> discontinuities, If S-parameter files are considered will the clearance
> >> have an effect or will it provide the results with how the file was
> >> generated.
> >>
> >> Or is it advisable to use HFSS to generate the particular section
> modeled
> >> as required and export Touchstone file and used it in the simulations.
> >> Kindly let me know a procedure to proceed further in my analysis.
> >>
> >> Also i noticed by plotting TDR, I get a positive spike which goes to 110
> >> ohms, at the place where the capacitor was considered.
> >>
> >> Kindly clarify.
> >>
> >> Regards
> >> Razeen
> >>
> >> or to administer your membership from a web page, go to:
> >> //www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
> >>
> >> For help:
> >> si-list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'help' in the Subject field
> >>

> >> List forum  is accessible at:
> >>
> >> List archives are viewable at:
> >>                 //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list
> >>
> >> Old (prior to June 6, 2001) list archives are viewable at:
> >>                 http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu

> >//www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
> >
> >For help:
> >

> >List forum  is accessible at:
> >
> >List archives are viewable at:
> >               //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list

> >               http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu

> List forum  is accessible at:
>
> List archives are viewable at:

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
16 Stormy Brook Road
Falmouth, ME 04105

(401) 284-1827 Business

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: