[SI-LIST] Re: UltraCAD ESR and Bypass Capacitor Caculator

  • From: "Istvan NOVAK" <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <fred@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 21:42:02 -0400

Fred, Peter,

You are correct, as always, it depends.  For people who might be familiar
from their experience mostly with only one or the other extreme scenario,
let
me summarize briefly the situation.

Though it was not specifically mentioned, everyone on this thread assumed
(or I think so) that the bypass capacitors are connected to planes (as
opposed
to the smallest possible power patch, when we cant speak about distance,
because there is just an active device with a few capacitors around it on
the
patch).  It is usually agreed that at low frequencies, the location of
capacitor
does not matter much.  So bulk capacitors could be excluded from the
discussion, though it is easy to show that we can always find an exception
if we want to: imagine the bulk capacitors that have their series
resonance frequencies in the 100kHz-1MHz range.  The wavelength is very long
compared to any practical PCB size, and still, it may be a good idea to put
the
bulk capacitors close to the output of the DC-DC converter, otherwise the
switching ripple current (in the other of a few hundred kHz) will have to
travel
all over the board and would spread the switching ripple.

At higher frequencies, the location of capacitors MAY matter.  It depends on
the
impedance ratio of planes and capacitors.  Similar to a matching resistor
for a
trace, when the impedance values agree or are close, the setup becomes
increasingly
insensitive to the geometry and relative locations.  If we terminate the end
of a trace
properly, the input impedance on a low-loss trace is always the
characteristic
impedance, regardless where we are along the trace.  Same applies in two
dimensions
to planes: if the impedance of the planes is close to our required PDN
impedance,
component locations matter very little as long as we provide a matched
termination to
the planes.

The capacitor location increasingly matters as soon as we cannot or
do not want to use matched planes: either the impedance requirement might be
so
low that it cannot be easily provided by (matched) planes, or we do not have
the
proper components to provide the plane matching.  As the ratio of plane
impedance
and capacitor ESR increase, there is an increasing sensitivity to component
location.
The typical scenario is that the plane impedance is high and the ESR is low.
This is
similar to having a shorted trace: the input impedance is a strong function
of distance
even at very low frequencies. If we keep the proper distance from the active
device, our impedance target still can be met.  Capacitor-plane resonance
will build
up, but as long as we dont excite them, it is OK.

Dependent on system considerations (determining our particular impedance
target),
available components, cost and manufacturing constraints, we may have one or
the
other extreme, or anything in between.  All of the comments leaning one way
or
the other on this thread are correct within their validity range.  We have
designs
embracing the full range explained above, we built and measured them.

This thread started out with the posting about the UltraCAD tool.  It is a
matter of
preference to use expression solvers (like the UltraCAD tool, or a
spreadsheet, or
a MATHCAD file) or a simulator (SPICE or alike).  I use several different
options,
Berkeley SPICE, PSPICE, HSPICE, spreadsheets and scripts based on analytical
expressions.  All have their particular sweet spot of usage.  SPICE can run
fast, but
it is easier to use an expression solver to simulate a full impedance
surface, which
can be set to step through a range of frequencies and display the changing
impedance
surface of a plane with a bypass capacitor at an arbitrarily specified
location. Such
a spreadsheet will be available for free download in the near future: send
me an off-line
mail if you are interested.  Notification is sent out only to those, who ask
for the
e-mail notification.

Best regards,

Istvan Novak