[SI-LIST] Re: The necessity of Pull-up resistors in DDR2

  • From: Hermann Ruckerbauer <hermann.ruckerbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Hirshtal Itzhak <ihirshtal@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 14:30:45 +0100

Hello Itzhak,
not sure if I use pull up in the same way you do ..

The definition I know is that a "Pull up" would terminate to VDDQ (and a
"Pull down" terminate to VSSQ).
It seems that you terminate to VTT what does not have a real name in my
wording   :-)  (maybe "pull mid" ?)

Of course you can run a DDR2 CA bus without termination.
If the SI Simulation is shwoing a result that fulfills alls input
parameters of the DRAM (Setup/Hold, slew rates, ringbacks, ..) there is
no reason to use a termination.
You need to take a close look to overshoots  (and undershoots), as this
one of the most critical things when using a rail to rail signaling with
no termination.
When this lines are terminated e. g. the high level is not reaching VDDQ
and therefor even an overshoot over the high level is not a problem. If
there is no termination the high level = VDDQ and therefore an overshoot
can cause trouble.
But basically this is part of the comment "if the SI simulations result
fulfills input parameter requirement"

but I do not understand the comment on dynamic current. The situation is
quite similar that the dynamic current need to load the capacitances on
the bus. The difference is the DC current that is missing in the system
without termination.

The improvement in Power and the lower component cost is maybe not the
factor to do such a design, but the big advantage is the real estate on
the board that is gained.

Hermann

Visit us on Embedded World 2010, 2. - 4. March 2010 in Nuernberg
Follow our presentation on Tuesday, March 2nd, 11:00 a.m.
        "Signal Integrity in embedded computer systems"

EKH - EyeKnowHow
Hermann Ruckerbauer
www.EyeKnowHow.de
Hermann.Ruckerbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Veilchenstrasse 1
94554 Moos
Tel.:   +49 (0)9938 / 902 083
Mobile: +49 (0)176  / 787 787 77
Fax:    +49 (0)3212 / 121 9008

schrieb Hirshtal Itzhak:
> Hello SI Experts
>

> I've conducted some pre-layout simulations on a DDR2 bus connected to
> on-board DDR2 devices.
>

> I found out that I get proper waveforms even if I don't use pull-up
> resistors on the Address & Control lines.
>

> I wonder if this is an acceptable result! I've always been using those
> pull-up resistors in previous designs.
>

> Is it a mandatory requirement to have a pull-up resistor to VTT on these
> lines?
>
> If I don't use them, how is the dynamic current supposed to be supplied
> to the lines?
>

> What could go wrong (if at all) if I don't include them in the design?
>

> Thanks
>

> Itzhak hirshtal
>

>  The information contained in this communication is proprietary to Israel
> Aerospace Industries Ltd., ELTA Systems Ltd.
> and/or third parties, may contain classified or privileged information, and
> is intended only for
> the use of the intended addressee thereof. If you are not the intended
> addressee, please be aware
> that any use, disclosure, distribution and/or copying of this communication
> is strictly prohibited.
> If you receive this communication in error, please notify the sender
> immediately and delete it from
> your computer. Thank you.
>

> This message is processed by the PrivaWall Email Security Server.

> List technical documents are available at:
>                 http://www.si-list.net
>
> List archives are viewable at:

> Eingehende eMail ist virenfrei.
> Von AVG überprüft - www.avg.de
> Version: 9.0.733 / Virendatenbank: 271.1.1/2659 - Ausgabedatum: 01/31/10
> 07:39:00

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: