[SI-LIST] Re: The necessity of Pull-up resistors in DDR2

  • From: Hany Fahmy <hfahmy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'ihirshtal@xxxxxxxxxx'" <ihirshtal@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'hermann.ruckerbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <hermann.ruckerbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 06:11:55 -0800

They call such termination to VTT as CTT: or center-tab-termination to imply
that the termination is connected to a mid-level between VDD and GND for MA/CMD
bus.
Agree with Hermann that if the Signal-integrity looks good (may be short
routing of the bus and good impedance matching with no
return-path-discontinuity), then it may not need such termination.

CTT does also help reduce di/dt for the data-bus as the dynamic-current is
smaller and therefore smaller sso noise. I guess that u will still use ODT for
the data-bus. The Q here is mainly about the MA/CMD bus.

Agree with Hermann also that special attention to the OS and US for
non-terminated bus: not only looking at the peak OS voltage but also looking at
the area V.ns of the peak as it does impact the reliability of the device.

Hany Fahmy (Nvidia Corporation)