[SI-LIST] Re: Testing chips with system level specs

  • From: "David Cuthbert" <dcuthbert@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 09:38:53 -0600

Hi Doug,

The faster risetimes were obtained while holding a tool in my hand. I used
myself for these discharges up to 8 kV - a rather unpleasant ESD voltage. I
was standing on a metal mat, if I remember correctly.

As all of this was done at another employer, and as I do not take notes with
me, it all must be recreated. My aim here is to help make sure that the test
standards reflect reality. It wouldn't do for devices to be designed to
incorrect specfications that ultimately yielded problems in the field or
expensive over-engineering. Either case is an extra cost to society that can
be avoided.

A case in point is the ESD protection structure that is dv/dt triggered.
Design this to require too high of a dv/dt and it might be ineffective in
the field. It would also be nice to histogram actual ESD events to that
engineers can design in ESD protection to 3 standard deviations, for
example.

I notice that in your test fixture you use what appears to be a Pearson
current viewing transformer. Others use the Tektronix CT-6 or CT-3(?)
current viewing transformer. I used a 'Pelligrini' target (invented by a
member of this reflector who happens to not have the name Pelligrini). The
target I used is detailed in Conformity magazine at this link:

http://www.conformity.com/0504/0504simple.html

I'm interested in continuing these studies of ESD and would be glad to
collaborate with others.

I am interested in moving TLP testing to the device level. I believe that
this would yield better testing. Once the 1500 ohm ESD gun is applied to a
PCB and the signal traverses several inches of transmission line, it is a
different animal.

    Dave Cuthbert