[SI-LIST] Re: Splitting the power plane

  • From: Jory McKinley <jory_mckinley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ravinder.Ajmani@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 11:29:56 -0800 (PST)

Hello Ravinder,
It all depends on the required performance targets for each IO or collectively
as a whole at the Asic chip.  First you will need to understand the amount of
switching current and edge rate that could be present in the package and
determine if you can live with one uniform plane with all the IO switching or
you may need to have multiple planes if noise levels cannot be met.  Second
there is the issue of isolation of board noise (lower frequency) making into
the
package and disrupting sensitive circuits.  Typically you can get better
isolation with separate planes but this is a trade off with increased board
complexity.
Generate Z11 and S21 curves from DC to daylight at the chips IO for both cases
(some assembly required, decoupling optimization and on-chip caps) and the
numbers should point you in the right direction.
Regards,
-Jory