[SI-LIST] Re: Splitting the power plane

  • From: Cosmin Iorga <ci249534@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ravinder.Ajmani@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 10:59:47 -0800 (PST)

Ravinder,
I think it depends quite significantly on your specific design and spectral
distribution of self-generated and incoming supply noise.  The ferrite bead
will
provide isolation for a finite frequency range with the expense of weakening
the
power distribution for DDR I/Os (split planes result in higher inductance and
placement limitations for decoupling capacitors).  So the other I/Os and
circuits will benefit, but most probably the DDR self-generated noise will be
worse.  Now since there are additional PDN coupling paths/mechanisms on the
package and chip, you may want to evaluate/simulate the actual injected noise
in
the other supplies to make a decision.
Cosmin Iorga,
NoiseCoupling.com