[SI-LIST] Re: Spectre S-parameter based modeling- Stability issues

  • From: "Ihsan Erdin" <erdinih@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mkeezhve@xxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 11:25:36 -0500

Madhusudanan,
If you're dealing with the power planes there's a good chance the port loads
are linear (decoupling caps and their parasitics, etc.) Then why bother with
the time domain simulations and painful data constraintment? Just use a
linear frequency domain simulator and get the time domain results by DFT in
a straightforward manner.

Regards

Ihsan

On 12/2/06, Madhusudanan K Sampath <mkeezhve@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi All,
> I am using n-port component in spectre to perform time domain simulation
> using touchstone s-parameter files for power planes which are obtained
> from
> measurement/full wave tools. In many cases, the simulation explodes due to
> stability reasons. What are the possible causes of this and how can one
> solve this issue. I think Spectre n-port component uses convolution
> methods
> to perform time domain simulation from frequency domain s-parameter data
> and
> hence are prone to convergence issues. If so how does it enforce passivity
> in the model. I verified the s-parameter matrix for eigenvalues and it
> proves the data is not passive. I would like to compensate for passivity
> and
> then re-try the time domain simulation. There are quite a few interesting
> passivity enforcements techniques in literature by Dr. B. Gustavsen and Dr
> S.G. Talocia . However they are applied on the rational functions which
> are
> obtained by vector fitting the data. My question is  if I vector fit the
> data, enforce the passivity using these techniques and then calculate  the
> S-parameter matrix for each frequency point from the passive rational
> function model.  Will spectre give stable results with this new data ?
>
> Please share your ideas and views on this. Thanks in advance.
>
> Madhu

> List FAQ wiki page is located at:
>
> List technical documents are available at:
>                 http://www.si-list.org