[SI-LIST] Re: Spectre S-parameter based modeling- Stability issues

  • From: "Ihsan Erdin" <erdinih@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thamiral@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 21:19:36 -0500

Taha,

Spectre (or any circuit simulator that uses a time evolution
technique) fails because its iterative algorithm builds the error in
the S-parameter data at every time step. If the data is unstable the
result shoots to the sky, if non-passive, it oscillates. The
convolution they mention is an intermediate step to get the
s-parameter data into the admittance matrix. Keep in mind that the
original frequency domain data can't be directly included in the
simulator's time domain algorithm. The data is first approximated in a
rational form and then expanded in decaying exponentials, which saves
storage and computational time by recursive convolution. But the end
result is still obtained by marching in the time, hence the passivity
requirements.
For the analysis of power delivery systems, I don't really see a big
incentive to use a transient simulator as long as the linear load
assumption holds. This applies to most practical cases. Usually the
frequency domain solution will give enough information for the
decoupling efficiency etc. A time domain response may be desired just
to see the peak-to-peak noise level but then one can easily get it
through IFFT as you put it.

Regards

Ihsan

List FAQ wiki page is located at: