[SI-LIST] Re: Si-list: the next format ??

  • From: alan.hiltonnickel@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 18:20:10 -0800

Ray,
I will tag on with the rest with a vote for continued email
functionality. The email format works, we all are comfortable with it,
it comes to us automatically - no searching required. In fact, the more
OCD of us feel a need to read email when it comes in, so it forces us to
keep up-to-date.

In my mind, it would only make sense to go to a web-based (or perhaps
web-/augmented/) format if there is a clear and compelling reason. One
of the ongoing issues we face in the forum is the problem of
communicating circuit information, either as schematics, layout or a
photograph. We cannot place documents in the messages, and every so
often someone tries, resulting in a series of non-productive posts.

Everyone finds their own solution to this, usually involving a
third-party server and placing a link to that server in the message.
When that server eventually goes down or the data is removed, the link
goes stale and the archive is useless.

I suspect part of your motivation for looking into these alternatives
includes some administrative tools, but if we could solve the
document-sharing problem, while keeping the email option, I think many
here would be happy.

My personal hope is that we can avoid an SI Twitter feed.

Alan Hilton-Nickel
Oracle Corp
Santa Clara, CA

List technical documents are available at: