[SI-LIST] Si-list: the next format ??

  • From: Ray Anderson <ray.anderson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 14:24:46 -0800

Si-list:

I'd like to take a few moments to pose a few questions related to
si-list to determine what the general response of the list membership
is.

Si-list has been active on the net for about 18 years. Over those 18
years it has undergone 2 or 3 changes in the way the listserver works
(from a Unix .forward file to the Majordomo listserver s/w to the
Ecartis listserver s/w on freelists.org). Through those 3 incarnations
it has basically been a classic internet mailing list with no real
earthshaking changes in how the message traffic is presented to the
users.

As all are probably aware most all "social networking" apps these days
are web based (Facebook, Yahoo Groups, Linkedin etc. .....). The main
paradigm shift is that these applications require the user to "pull" the
data from the web site as opposed to a mailist (like si-list) where the
traffic is "pushed" to the user.

I've been considering alternatives to our present setup that could make
si-list more user friendly and increase the features available to the
list membership. At this time I won't go into any specifics, but will
pose just a few questions that I'd like to see some feedback on related
to possible changes in si-list.

1)      Do you see moving to a web-based format as a positive
development or problematic from the user's perspective?

2)      If the list were to move to a web-based format is it important
to retain the option of posting messages via e-mail and receiving list
traffic via e-mail or could that option be dispensed with?

3)      If a web-based solution needed to host a limited number of
non-obtrusive si-related advertisements to defray operating costs do you
see this as a major issue?

The solutions currently under consideration are NOT Facebook, Yahoo
Groups or Linkedin based, but would probably entail a state-of-the-art
Forum type application running on a reliable commercial server fully
backed up with wideband net connectivity.

Your comments are welcome.

-Ray Anderson

(si-list admin)

This email and any attachments are intended for the sole use of the named
recipient(s) and contain(s) confidential information that may be proprietary,
privileged or copyrighted under applicable law. If you are not the intended
recipient, do not read, copy, or forward this email message or any attachments.
Delete this email message and any attachments immediately.

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: