[SI-LIST] Re: SPICE on the cheap?

  • From: Ray Anderson <Raymond.Anderson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 10:19:22 -0700 (PDT)

There have been a couple replies to the original question
on the existance of a free spice with the following characteristic:

"that does a good job with coupled transmission lines and lossy
transmission lines"

There are lots and lots of free spice implementations out there,
free for the taking with varying degrees of goodness, but to my
knowledge none of them handle coupled and lossy transmission lines
in a really "good way". (whatever that means)

Yes, some handle coupled and lossy lines, but being familiar with
industrial strength tools like Hspice and Apsim spice which have
excellent implementations of coupled and lossy lines, the majority of
the freebee's don't seem to be in the same class.

(And before someone brings up the topic, yes, I know the t-line
models in the simulators I mentioned have their own issues :-).

Anyway, that my 2 cents worth.......

-Ray

>Bob,
>
>Here is a free version of SPICE
>http://www.willingham2.freeserve.co.uk/winspice.html.  Works fine and
>doesn't have any node limitations (within reason).   There is no schematic
>capture with this, but hey it FREE!  There is a help file that comes with
>it, but to get you started quick....
>
>1. Click on File Open and go find your *.cir
>2. Type run at the command line
>3. Type plot v(x) to plot your node; where x is the node number
>
>If you are interested in having a schematic capture tool I can recommend
>Intusoft ICAP/4 windows, however there are many others out there for you to
>choose from.
>
>Craig Clewell
>FCI Electronics

List archives are viewable at: