[SI-LIST] Re: SPICE on the cheap?

  • From: Al Davis <aldavis@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bobperl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 20:41:53 -0600

On Thursday 10 October 2002 09:50 am, Bob Perlman wrote:
> Is there a version of SPICE that does a good job with coupled
> transmission lines and lossy transmission lines, and doesn't
> cost an arm and a leg?  Is there a version you use that's
> inexpensive, and that you're happy with?

None that I know of, today, but with a little help one of the
free/open-source simulators could have it soon.  Then I found
one, maybe.

I am thinking of two ... "gnucap" and "ng-spice" that could use
some help.  Then I found "KSPICE".

Gnucap has a model compiler, which should make it easier to do
if you have a paper or a *-AMS description of such a model.  It
helps translating Spice models, too.  Also, IBIS support is on
the way.  I have some of it working in my own version, and it
will be released to the public when it is useful.  The existing
transmission line (lossless, uncoupled only) is implemented by
the more efficient method of characteristics, rather than the
traditional Spice method.  It is outside the iteration loop,
making it much more efficient.  Perhaps loss and coupling could
be added, if I could get help or funding.

"NG-Spice" is Spice, kept more up to date.  Its goal is to
collect code that has been previously available only in pieces,
and make it available.  Perhaps you know where to find Spice
code for this lossy coupled transmission line, but it is not
linked in, and there are some problems.  The ng-spice project's
purpose is to collect and package this kind of thing.

A further search on the web turned up "KSPICE".
http://www.gigascale.org/pubs/downloads/spice/
It is a modified version of Spice 3e2 with enhanced
transmission lines.  It might be worth a look.  A quick look
reveals 2 new models "txl" and "cpl".  I have never used it.  I
found it while exploring as I was writing this note.

List archives are viewable at: