[SI-LIST] Re: SPECCTRAQuest: DC level shift with series caps

  • From: "Sanchez, Louis" <louis.sanchez@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'whizplayer@xxxxxxxxx'" <whizplayer@xxxxxxxxx>,ahilton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, hassan@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 09:56:09 -0800

Alan........

You mentioned placing a resistor in the network. I must have missed one of
the email responses because I cannot find the thread where it is mentioned.
Can you please repeat your suggestion? Duty factor shifts can be
interesting, and destructive if not handled properly in some applications.
With the right time constant (RC coupling) combined with a pattern of 1's
and 0's, the baseline can actually exhibit a low frequency form of
modulation. This can cause thresholding to occur at the receiver at
different points on the edges of the waveform. The result is jitter. An RC
coupled network is such a simple thing, but improperly used can cause
seemingly unexplained anomalies when processing pulse trains of data.

Lou A. Sanchez