[SI-LIST] Re: SI Simulation of GHz signals

  • From: "Ken Willis" <kwillis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <clifford@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 08:50:49 -0700

Hi Clifford,

While it is true that you can use the HSPICE simulator with
SPECCTRAQuest (SQ),
it is not mandatory for multi-gigaHertz (MGH) signals. SQ has a very
robust behavioral MacroModeling capability that is well-suited for
effects like pre-emphasis, receiver equalization, and the like. Using
these types of models with the native simulator in SQ has allowed users
to overlay with transistor-level models, with performance speed-ups of
up to 400x.

While I agree that creating MacroModels from scratch is not for
everybody, we have started to put in place a library of model templates
for a number of common types of MGH drivers and receivers. With a
working template to start from, it is no longer a huge stretch for users
to create models, especially if they are familiar with SPICE (the SQ
circuit simulator is a SPICE-based engine). You can find a white paper
on this topic and downloadable model templates at
http://www.allegrosi.com/. We have had some good customer success using
this approach.

On the simulation front, I agree that MGH signals are pushing beyond the
scope of traditional circuit simulation. We are seeing that to get a
stable eye pattern, you may need to simulate a far larger bit stream
than what has been feasible in the past. We are addressing this need
with new "Channel Analysis" functionality, which includes a channel
simulator capable of simulating bit streams of 1 million bits or more in
very reasonable time frames. We are typically seeing performance on the
order of 1000 bits/sec, (not including characterization, which can take
a couple of minutes).

There was a detailed webinar given recently on this topic that describes
all of this in some detail. If you are interested, you can take a look
at the webinar archives at
http://www.cadence.com/webinars/webinars.aspx?xml=3Dchannel_analysis. =
The
archives for this particular webinar should be posted there within the
next week. Also, you can contact your local Cadence AE if you are
interested in taking a closer look at this new technology.=20

thanks,

Ken Willis
Cadence Design Systems