[SI-LIST] Re: Routing guidelines for 3.12Gbps LVDS pairs

  • From: Vinu Arumugham <vinu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Nash, Timothy J" <timothy.j.nash@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 09:41:58 -0700

The 3.125Gbps XAUI spec. allocates 60ps for interconnect skew. So as Lee
wrote, in theory 300 mil skew is acceptable. However, I agree with Jeff
Loyer's approach. If it is easy to do +/-2.5 mil matching, the rest is
margin for other impairments that are more difficult to control.
Thanks,
Vinu

Nash, Timothy J wrote:
> I agree with that rule of thumb, except...
>
> Many layout folks complain that we sometimes over-constrain our designs.
> That is to say, whether hand-routed or auto-routed, the DRC constraints can
> be prohibitive - especially when dealing with wide matched-length
> differential busses on minimal layer counts.  I think it is important to keep
> in mind that there is no magic number, rather the number is a function of the
> characteristics of the interface.  I would agree that if you are only trying
> to match a few diff pairs or you have more than enough routing layers then
> matching to +/- 2.5 mils is a non-issue.  But, why make it difficult matching
> to +/- 2.5 mils when 100 mils would suffice?  The bottom line is, rules of
> thumb can be dangerous if we forget the caveats associated with them.
>
> Tim

>>> ii. Switch between layers on either side of the same contiguous plane.

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: