[SI-LIST] Re: Rogers4003 Board Characterization

  • From: "ryansatrom" <ryan.satrom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 13:50:07 -0000

Bill-

That is correct, we use hard-gold plating.  Will this be an issue?
I am not a board guy so this may be very helpful to me.  I was under
the impression that, due to the skin effect, any signals above 10MHz
or so would travel completely in the gold.  Therefore i didn't think
the nickel would cause any issues and i neglected it from my
models.  is this assumption incorrect?

Thanks.
Ryan Satrom
RF Engineer
Everett Charles Technologies
ryan.satrom@xxxxxxxxxxx

--- In si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Bill Dempsey" <bdempsey85@...>
wrote:

> Ryan,
>
> Did I read in your post correctly? "Hard Gold Electrolytic plating"
>
> Hard gold requires a thick nickel layer to be deposited on the
transmission
> line first before gold and then, if you call it out, soldermask.
> Immersion gold process does not deposit nickel on the traces since
> soldermask is applied first.
>
> You will see quite unexpected results with your microstrip if you
did not
> account for the ferro-magnetic effect of the nickel.  The nickel
will be
> around 150-180uin thick.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Bill
>
> Msg: #3 in digest
> Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 15:08:03 -0000
> From: "ryansatrom" <ryan.satrom@...>
> Subject: [SI-LIST] Re: R: Rogers4003 Board Characterization
>
> To All-
>
> Thanks to all who have posted.  A little more background on the
> board (if interested):
>
> -Trace Thickness:  Microstrip=3D3D16mil; Stripline=3D3D8mil (before
fab -
> trace loses about 0.5mil on each side through manufacturing
process)
> -Board Thickness ~200mil.
> -Layer Thickness =3D3D 8mil
> -Hard-gold electrolytic plating of 15-50mils thickness
>
> The launch structures, and a small portion of the trace was modeled
> in HFSS.  I added a 0.3mil layer of soldermask (used FR4 material)
> to model.
>
> From all of your responses, it appears the most important
parameters
> that i have not included in my models are surface roughness and
> frequency-dependent dielectric.  HFSS can account for both of them.
> I will put those into the model and see if it helps.
>
> ED - I am not familiar with correlating sick and surface
> roughness.  How can i correlate these values to the capacitance?
>
> Thank you very much for the replies.  Any more thoughts will
> certainly be appreciated.  If anybody is interested in working with
> some of the data, feel free to email me at ryan.satrom@...
>
> Thanks again.

> si-list-request@... with 'help' in the Subject field
>
> List FAQ wiki page is located at: