[SI-LIST] Re: Reaching 2 Gbps out of a single-ended interface

  • From: Bill.Cohen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: strembl1@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 17:46:09 -0400

Stephane,

I was wondering if you thought about current in your pre-driver. This
current may have to figured into you design.

| Bill Cohen
| Toshiba America Electronic Components, Circuit Design Group
| email: wcohen@xxxxxxxx
| office: (508) 486-1031               fax: (508) 481-8828

                    Stephane Tremblay

                    <strembl1@xxxxxxxx       To:     "Jean Audet"
<jaudet@xxxxxxxxxx>
                    om>                      cc:     si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                    Sent by:                 Subject:     [SI-LIST] Re:
Reaching 2 Gbps out of a single-ended
                    si-list-bounce@fre        interface

                    elists.org

                    10/24/2002 03:11

                    PM

                    Please respond to

                    strembl1

Jean,

      I should not throw that much numbers over Email because it is very=
 difficult to follow. I will do my best to re-iterate my assumed numbers.

#1-  The "200 mOhms, 1.5nH, 0.3pF" is effectively my package discontinuity=
 on SIGNALS.

#2- The 7 pH comes from this formula:

dI/dt =3D70 bits x  9 V/ns / 60 Ohms =3D 10.5 A/ns

Considering a maximum allowable swing of 75 mV on rails,

75 mV =3D 10.5 A/ns x L

so L =3D 7 pH

which represent the max allowable inductance for GND/PWR.=20

#3- The relation I did with #1 and #2 is the following:

If you consider that any current deliver to a buffer (trough its rail) will
=
 serve as charging (or discharging) your T-Line (assume no crow-bar current
=
 between PU and PD). That way, you can NOT get more current sinking on
rails=
 than the one you can inject on the T-Line (The one you inject on T-Line is
=
 limited by your inductance on your signal connection which is 1.5 nH in my
=
 case). That is why I came up with the second approximation of 20 pH where=
 20 pH represent the min. equivalent inductance of outputs.    =20

70 / 1.5 nH =3D 20 pH

Hope this is clear now.
Regards,
Steph.

At 12:58 PM 10/24/02 -0400, Jean Audet wrote:
>Stephane ...
>YOU WROTE ' .>Interconnect (flip-chip package and FR4 pcb)
> >       - 4 inches symmetric Stripline 60 Ohms on FR4
> >       - Package Impedance discontinuity on signal: 200 mOhms, 1.5nH,
>0.3pF'
> >Maybe I missed the point, but from my understanding  those
discontunities
>was applied to your signal nets.... and it is why I said that... and you
>should take care of the discontinuities for your HS nets. And if the 0.3pF
>is applied as discontinuity for the hs nets..then the number is not
>correct. From my perspective you should use TL model for your HS nets in
>your module, and added your discontinuities (vias,bga....) whre needed and
>you will see that 0.3pF is nor enough for the entire nets in your package
>and the bga ball with the pad(+pth) in your card ....!
>

> >From my understanding the 7pH you were talking about was the vdd-gnd
loop
>inductance .....not the loop form your SIO.    YOU WROTE 'I get max
>allowable GND/PWR inductance of 7 pH.'
>
>What is your x-section of your buildup carrier ? Have you include the esl
?
>in your 300pH loop number ?
>
>Thanks
>

>Jean Audet
>Electrical Analysis
>InterConnect Products IMD
>IBM Burlington
>Tel: 802-769-0835, tie line: 446-0835
>Tel: 450-534-6317, tie line: 552-6317
>E-mail: jaudet@xxxxxxxxxx

=
                                                            =20
>                       Stephane Tremblay
=
                                                            =20
>                       <strembl1@matrox.        To:       Jean=
 Audet/Bromont/IBM@IBMCA
=20
>                       com>                     cc:      =
 si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
=
  =20
>                                                Subject:  Re: [SI-LIST]
Re:=
 Reaching 2 Gbps out of a single-ended  interface           =20
>                       10/24/2002 12:26
=
                                                            =20
>                       PM
=
                                                            =20

=
                                                            =20

=
                                                            =20

> [...]
> >
> >Jean Audet
> >Electrical Analysis
> >InterConnect Products IMD
> >IBM Burlington
> >Tel: 802-769-0835, tie line: 446-0835
> >Tel: 450-534-6317, tie line: 552-6317
> >E-mail: jaudet@xxxxxxxxxx
> >

> >                       Stephane Tremblay
>
> >                       <strembl1@matrox.        To:
>si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> >                       com>                     cc:
>
> >                       Sent by:                 Subject:  [SI-LIST]
>Reaching 2 Gbps out of a single-ended interface
> >                       si-list-bounce@fr
>
> >                       eelists.org
>

> >                       10/23/2002 05:00
>
> >                       PM
>
> >                       Please respond to
>
> >                       strembl1
>

> >Hi SI-Listers,
> >
> >       I have an interesting challenge to accomplish: bring a 70 bits
>single
> >  ended interface in the 2 Gbps range (1 GHz clock, DDR xfers). Here is
>how
> >  plan on doing it:
> >
> >Rails
> >       - VDD =3D 1.8 V
> >       - VSS =3D 0V
> >
> >Output buffer
> >       - Impedance: 40 Ohms Pull-UP
> >                          40 Ohms Pull-Down (so the '0' is at about 0.72
>V)
> >   (I prefer overshoot better than undershoot considering the 60 Ohms
>T-line
> >  and receiver)
> >       - Slew-Rate: 9V/ns
> >       - Parasitic capacitance (including ESD): < 4 pF
> >       - Assume very linear VI curves
> >       - Assume a 50% duty-cycle with matched falling and rising edges
> >       - Assume a 30 ps jitter on output.
> >
> >Input buffer
> >       - Termination Impedance: 60 Ohms to VDD
> >       - Assume very linear VI curve for termination
> >       - Vref @ 1.26V
> >       - Parasitic capacitance (including ESD): < 4 pF
> >
> >Interconnect (flip-chip package and FR4 pcb)
> >       - 4 inches symmetric Stripline 60 Ohms on FR4
> >       - Package Impedance discontinuity on signal: 200 mOhms, 1.5nH,
>0.3pF
> >

> >By putting aside the crosstalk consideration, I really think the signal
> >  quality can be OK with this basic model. One of the biggest concern=
 that
> >  have is Rail collapse. If I put the numbers:
> >
> >dI/dt =3D70 bits x  9 V/ns / 60 Ohms =3D 10.5 A/ns
> >
> >Considering a maximum allowable swing of 75 mV on rails,
> >
> >I get max allowable GND/PWR inductance of 7 pH. Note that GND is more
> >  important since the receiver terminate the line at VDD.
> >
> >Now the questions:
> >
> >1- Is there any hole with my assumptions?
> >2- Should I worry about other factors than Rail collapse (crosstalk and
>EMI
> >  excluded)
> >3- Is 7 pH of total GND inductance do-able?
> >4- What would you specify differently if you were me? And why?
> >5- Is anyone ever pushed a 70 bits single ended interface that fast?
How?

> >Thanks for the answers,
> >Steph.

> >Stephane Tremblay
> >Hardware project leader
> >
> >Matrox Graphics Inc.  (MGI)
> >1025 St-Regis, Dorval (Quebec), H9P 2T4
> >
> >Telephone   : (514) 822-6300 #2930
> >Fax         : (514) 685-7030
> >email       : Stephane.Tremblay@xxxxxxxxxx

> >//www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
> >
> >For help:
> >
> >List archives are viewable at:
> >                          //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list
> >or at our remote archives:
> >                          http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu

> >//www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
> >
> >For help:
> >
> >List archives are viewable at:
> >                 //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list
> >or at our remote archives:
> >                 http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu

>St=E9phane Tremblay
>Hardware project leader
>
>Matrox Graphics Inc.  (MGI)
>1025 St-Regis, Dorval (Quebec), H9P 2T4
>
>Telephone   : (514) 822-6300 #2930
>Fax         : (514) 685-7030
>email       : Stephane.Tremblay@xxxxxxxxxx
>USA address : Matrox Graphics Inc.
>                625 State Route 3 #B
>                Plattsburg, NY, USA, 12901-6530

St=E9phane Tremblay
Hardware project leader

Matrox Graphics Inc.  (MGI)=20
1025 St-Regis, Dorval (Quebec), H9P 2T4=20

Telephone   : (514) 822-6300 #2930=20
Fax         : (514) 685-7030=20
email       : Stephane.Tremblay@xxxxxxxxxx=20

List archives are viewable at: