[SI-LIST] Re: R: Rogers4003 Board Characterization

  • From: "Loyer, Jeff" <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ryan.satrom@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 17:27:19 -0700

I've seen quite a few posts regarding exotic effects that might ruin
your correlation, but I would first look to solve your problem by
looking for some simple "gotchas", especially if you can only correlate
to 5GHz.

1) I wouldn't use microstrip to try to measure Er.  There are too many
ways of getting wrong results (assumptions about trace geometries,
including plating; soldermask properties and geometry; etc.).  I would
only use stripline, whose propagation speed will depend on Er only, and
be completely independent of trace geometry.

2) I would urge you to try to measure change in propagation time instead
of the absolute value, to determine Er.  For instance, on any test board
I do, I always include several lengths of traces.  That way I can
measure the propagation delay of those, and know that the delta is due
only to the difference in trace length - the launch effects are
effectively de-embedded.  Of course, this is done automatically with TRL
cal. structures, but I would also do it if I was only counting on SOLT.
Measuring prop. delay on a single trace is too error-prone, in my
opinion.

If your board doesn't have these various lengths, I would consider
sacrificing one board and sawing it to measure the prop. delay of
different lengths of stripline traces.  Start by sawing the board at the
very end of a trace, and TDR'ing that trace from the other end.  Then
cut an inch or two (depending on the length of the trace) and measure
again.  Repeat if you can...

3) Your experience with measurement showing more loss than simulations
agrees with mine, but is dependent on the simulator. I've had best
correlation with ADS and XFX (expensive 3D simulators haven't proven
themselves more accuate in this regard, to me), without having to
account for surface roughness.  My correlations have been up to 20GHz.
I will say that my experience is anecdotal (taking a few test boards I
had lying around and measuring/modeling/correlating them), and not
comprehensive.

Good luck,
Jeff Loyer

Disclaimer:
The content of this message is my personal opinion only and although I
am an employee of Intel, the statements I make here in no way represent
Intel's position on the issue, nor am I authorized to speak on behalf of
Intel on this matter.