[SI-LIST] Re: Pin vs. Die

  • From: Ravinder Ajmani <ravinder.ajmani@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2015 21:11:39 +0000

Hi Todd,
I am in the same camp as you and Conrad.  In all the simulations I have done
the signal at the die is always better than the signal at the pin.  The
difference may be small for parts with small packages, but for ASICs with large
package parasitic, the signal at the pin is almost always non-monotonic.  As
you have pointed out, it is the signal at the die which matters.  Perhaps the
only benefit of signal at the pin is for comparison with the measured data.

Regards
Ravinder Ajmani
HGST, a Western Digital company
5601 Great Oaks Pkwy