[SI-LIST] Pin vs. Die

  • From: Conrad Herse <conrad.herse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2015 14:04:25 -0600

Historically, when performing PCB SI (ibis) simulations I've always
focused on the SI quality of a signal when measured at the die of a
receiving device, if a signal needs to be monotonic I've ensured it's
monotonic at the die rather than at the pin. On (rare) occasions I've
encountered instances where simulations show a signal to have acceptable
SI at the pin but not the die, for these cases I've always worked to
find improvements to achieve acceptable SI in the die waveform.

Questions have been raised recently as to whether achieving good SI at
the pin of a device is adequate, without careful regard to the SI of a
waveform at the die. The rationale behind this being that datasheet
specifications were traditionally considered at the pin of a device. The
reasoning goes that if good SI is achieved at a device pin this meets
the datasheet specifications and no further improvements should be needed.

I personally do not subscribe to this line of reasoning but would be
interested in hearing feedback from others on this.

Thanks,

--
Conrad Herse
Alcatel-Lucent