[SI-LIST] Re: Package Model in IBIS

  • From: "Beal, Weston" <Weston_Beal@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Newbie Pugal <pugal8686@xxxxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 16:04:38 +0000

Pugal,

If the package pin length is much shorter than the signal rise/fall time then a
lumped RLC model is adequate to model the effect that the package has on the
signal. Also, the lumped L and C values can be used to calculate the effective
impedance (sqrt(L/C)) and delay (sqrt(LC)) of the pin. This assumption is good
as long as the delay is much shorter than the signal rise/fall time. As the
rise/fall time approaches the delay calculated from the lumped pin model, the
model becomes gradually less accurate. Depending on your accuracy needs, you
need to use a correct distributed package model when the delay through the
package is 1/10 to 1/6 the rise/fall time.

Regards,
Weston