[SI-LIST] Re: PCIe routing

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jory McKinley <jory_mckinley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 13:29:24 -0400

Jory
I believe you probably ment to say 5X the Nyquist Rate, which is 5 x 1/2
the bit rate of 5 Gbps, or 12.5 GHz, rather than 25 GHz as you said.  It
is not "a" particular stub, but rather the pairing of multiple stubs and
discontinuities that can cause resonance induced additional jitter.
PCIe allocates most of the jitter into the Tx and Rx silicon, leaving
very little for the interconnect, so it does make sense to model and
simulate any "non-standard" channels.

regards,

Scott

Jory McKinley wrote:
>  Jory McKinley
> McKinley Consulting
> e-mail: jory_mckinley@xxxxxxxxx
> phone: (774)-285-2859
>

> Hello Bert,
> Your rough calculations are about right but remember its not the bit rate but
> the edge rate we are concerned with (and subsequent frequency content) of the
> PCIE signals which at 30ps (close to 20Ghz meaningful energy content) minimum
> edge rates give cause of concern for these via transitions.
> If we did not have the edge rate information available then we could assume
> that frequencies up to about 5 times the bit rate would be a concern which in
> this case would be roughly 25GHz.
> Regards,
> -Jory
>

> ________________________________
> From: Lambert Simonovich <bertsimonovich@xxxxxxxxxx>

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: