[SI-LIST] Re: PCIe routing

  • From: "Carrier, Patrick" <Patrick_Carrier@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bernd schuster" <bernd.schuster12@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 19:49:59 -0700

Hello Bernd--
A few suggestions for you:

1.  You are correct, putting TX and RX on different layers would
alleviate near-end crosstalk, but then you have an issue with the
far-end crosstalk, which will in most cases be a larger problem,
especially on the outer layers.  This paper may help:
http://www.xilinx.com/publications/xcellonline/xcell_58/xc_pdf/p074-076_
58-mentor.pdf

There is also a PCI-Express Design Kit with lots of helpful tips on
Mentor's SupportNet if you are a customer.

2.  The are many straight connectors which support multi-Gbs signals (if
your boards are parallel).  Any of the major connector websites should
have details.  Or if you do have to cable the signals, I would stay away
from a flat ribbon cable, but something like the twinax of a SATA cable
might work well and is relatively flat.

--Pat

Patrick Carrier
Technical Marketing Engineer