[SI-LIST] Re: PCI Express AC Coupling

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bowden, Ivor" <ibowden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 14:39:09 -0800

All capacitors have some leakage.  If you have a really clean PCB and
the static builds up faster than the leakage can drain it off you might
have an issue.  Although I have never heard of a failure actually traced
to this mechanism, a 10K - 1M drain or shunt resistor should take care
of any such concerns. The biggest impact of such a solution is the
additional parasitics.  In that respect, I think the drain resistor is
easier to implement transparently than the shunt is.

Steve.

Steve Weir
IPBLOX, LLC
150 N. Center St. #211