[SI-LIST] Re: MicroStrip capacitance

  • From: "burke_ipc" <burke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 13:45:16 -0000

For different loading conditions (as a first pass) you could view
the detailed section of our report as referenced in previous email.
In this section you will find Impedance under various loading
scenarios which will inform you whether or not there is different
coupling between neighbor lines. This report gives you:

Zg (Zgrounded) -all other conductors are grounded
Z(effective) -all conductors are loaded signals
Zf (Zfloated) -all other conductors are floated (or stubbed)

As a second pass (if these values significantly differ) is to run
the model in SPICE (you can control all loading scenarios), and from
the SPICE results deduce the capacitive coupling directly.

Brian

--- In si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, yoni tzafrir <imyonitz@xxxx> wrote:
> o.k.
> after using this web calculator, i got capacitance of
1.557pf/inch, i also got Tpd 0.1382 ns/inch. my line length is
1.7inch.  relaying on previous discussions from the Si-list, i
assume that just multiplying the 1.7 in capacitance (1.557pf/inch)
would be wrong, because it is based on the wrong assumption that all
the line will be loaded at the same time.
> what should it be, then?
> Michel Perez <michel.perez@xxxx> wrote:
> Try this
>
> http://www.emclab.umr.edu/pcbtlc/index.html