[SI-LIST] Re: Matching impedance

  • From: Chris Cheng <chris.cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: silist <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 14:39:48 -0800

Betty,

While I don't know what kind of circuits you are working on, my experiences
on I/O's @ 3-10GHz that have to run over a reasonable distant on a system do
not have a single impedance over all frequencies. Depending on whether the
driver implements pre-emphasis or FIR type filter, they can have 2,3 or even
up to 5 "states" of impedances depending on the pattern. At 10GHz, the
topology (package, trace, parasitic) can have 40-60db per decade
attenuation. I think it is meaningless to view the termination scheme
without slapping on the multi-state driver with topology and go through the
simulation analysis and empirically find out which termination value
generates the best eye-opening.
One thing good about running signal at such a high speed is all the ringing
tend to die down quickly along the signal path. Think about it this way, if
you have such a hard time sending the signal at its fundamental frequency,
the ringing (which has to be higher than the fundamental) will suffer even
more attenuation.

Chris
ps are you related to Prof. Frank Luk ?