[SI-LIST] Re: Loss tangent and Dielectric conductance

  • From: "Ken Cantrell" <Ken.Cantrell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Yaping Zhou" <y.zhou@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 08:18:48 -0700

Yaping,
Thanks for the input.  That makes sense.  No, I don't know of any way to
separate conductor loss from dielectric loss when doing TDR measurements.
Not in the actual measurements themselves.  I obtain the relative
permittivity from the relative velocity/free space velocity ratio, and
crunch some closed form solutions for conductor loss, compare to the total
loss, and what's left is the tan delta loss.  It gets you in the ball park,
but it's a best fit for that particular case, and not a general solution.
Ken