[SI-LIST] Re: Loss tangent and Dielectric conductance

  • From: "Yaping Zhou" <y.zhou@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Ken.Cantrell@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 12:23:55 -0600

Ken:

I think the most accurate way to measure dieletric constant is to use high-Q
cavity. The cavity is calibrated first, then a small piece of material is
put in. The resonance frequency shift and Q decrease are measure with VNA.
The frequency shift can be related to the real part Er' and the Q decrease
is related to the imaginary part Er''.  Loss tangent is the ratio of Er' and
Er'' .

A metallic trace has to be added for TDR measurment. By doing so we
introduce additional conductor loss, which usually dominates dielectric
loss. Is there a way to separate conductor loss and dielectric loss in TDR
measurement?

Yaping
--
Yaping Zhou