[SI-LIST] Re: Level Translator parts

  • From: keithK EPD <epd2001usa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <arpad_muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 15:58:40 -0400

At first blush the answers you have given sound correct , but I left off a few
details

1) I can not change the HCT245 part (it's on a driver board, and fully
qualified).
         I have full control design over a "display" PCB to drive the LCD data
and control pins
         as I said before the un-dir pins (or control pins) work fine.
2) the display doesn't have 5 volt compatible inputs, requiring the 3.x volt
conversion
3) the series ferrites, placed right after the 245 driver, also can not be
changed
        (un-fortunately, it would have been nice to change the driver part to a
HC245 and run off of 3.3v...no can do)
4) I'm not sure about how fast the edge rates on the ST2378 / but I can turn
off the enable pin (low) and the
        in-coming signal(s) from the 245 clean up nice / it appears that the
ST2378 acts like an low impedance device (?)
        it seems like the reflected wave on the signals is trying to find a
home but kinda oscilates due to the inductor
        in the path at the source.

5)  I will be trying to put series resistors on the Display PCB, to dampin (or
match) the ST2378 Z.
and
6) then replace the ST2378 by a HC245 and use the control pins to drive the
display ...

thanks for your responses - I still haven't read them all, but I will ......

Keith Kowal
Electronic Product Design - MA
781-593-0199 (h)

www.product-designs.com