[SI-LIST] Re: Basic question on power plane capacitance

  • From: "Howard Johnson" <howie03@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 10:07:01 -0700

Dear Mikhail,

I assume you are working with a bare board (no components installed).  In
that case, I have an idea for you.

I worked with an engineer from Apple many years ago with a similar
complaint.  Here's what happened.  Perhaps it relates in some way to your
story.

Call him Bob.  His was a four-layer board, with a stackup like this:

 TOP SIG
   -- thin dielectric
 GROUND
   -- *** very thick dielectric
 POWER
   -- thin dielectric
 BOTTOM SIG

The POWER-GROUND spacing was much larger (5x) than the spacing from each
signal layer to its respective reference plane.

Bob measured, using a hand-held capacitance meter at a low frequency, the
capacitance from POWER to GROUND and saw, like you, about twice as much
capacitance as he expected.

Bob's board dimensions were approximately 8x10 in., with a POWER-GROUND
spacing of 0.050 in.  Fringing fields were not significant.

Here's what happened.  The board was covered with a dense maze of trace, top
and bottom.

A traces that stays entirely on the TOP layer of Bob's board cannot affect
the POWER-GROUND capacitance, except through the tiny perturbation caused by
its endpoint vias (this was a through-hole board).  Same for traces that
stay entirely on the bottom layer.

But, what about traces that change layers?  Many of the signals were routed
partway on the TOP layer before popping through vias onto the BOTTOM, where
they ran an additional distance before terminating.  These layer-changing
traces enjoy a certain capacitance from TOP to GROUND, which they then
connect (in series) to a second capacitance leading from BOTTOM to POWER.

Since the traces were set much closer to the planes than the natural
POWER-GROUND spacing, they exert a disproportionately large effect on the
total POWER-GROUND capacitance.

There are two ways to determine if this might be a factor for your board.

1) Add up the capacitances of all traces passing over your polygon on layer
one. Remember that the capacitance of each of those traces will have, in
series with it, a second capacitance representing its connection to some
other plane.

2) Drill out all the vias passing through the polygon, and cut any traces
that leave the edge of the polygon.  That isolates it from trace
capacitance.

I hope that this brief note helped you, and if not, at least that it made
pleasant reading.

Let me know what you find out.

Best regards,
Dr. Howard Johnson, Signal Consulting Inc.,
tel +1 509-997-0505,  howie03@xxxxxxxxxx
www.sigcon.com -- High-Speed Digital Design seminars, publications and films