[SI-LIST] Re: Layout service recommendations

  • From: Alex McPheeters <amcpheeters@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: fred@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 13:51:07 -0400

Fred:

In all fairness I hope you will acknowledge that just as you have never
seen a complex design without at least one error, you have also never
authored a single design package which you did not alter in some minor way
after it was delivered to the layout provider, either internal or external.

Obviously just as there are good (read everything, understand and follow it
to the letter, as is our goal) designers and bad designers (poor work
habits, inattention to detail etc.) there are engineers who have similar
issues primarily having to do with organization level. highly organized and
prepared = easy to work for and satisfy, disorganized or unprepared =
difficult to work for rarely satisfied.

While we as professionals try not to dwell on the fact that in an
engineering group of 5 engineers, I may always have one who is never
profitable for us, we are more and more sensitive to the engineers general
acumen as we must be in order to remain profitable.  Obviously, design is
interactive now or will not be successful on RF and HSD boards, but
interactive from a placement and routing standpoint is different then
delivering a new netlist after placement is approved, a situation we face
every week.

Our clients will tell you again and again that 50 feet or 500 miles, you
get exactly what you pay for in this business, expertise or amateurishness.

"most will tell you whatever to get your business" does not relate much
respect for your only link to the physical, manufacturing and
manufacturability aspects of your designs.  I am sorry you have not found a
more professional vendor.

Alex McPheeters

List archives are viewable at: