[SI-LIST] Re: Is a copper plane not tied to any net a reference plane?

  • From: "Loyer, Jeff" <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "steve weir" <weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 13:41:47 -0700

GREAT example - thanks!  I agree with the prediction for that case (a
"T" of coax).  Now I'm trying to relate this to a via in a PCB.

The reason I'm particularly interested in this is that I often do
exactly what Scott described, building test boards with vias to
interface with stripline traces (or traces on the bottom of the board).
While I have been warned that this phenomenon (the resonance) is to be
guarded against, I have yet to see it manifest itself (that I know of -
I must admit I don't spend a lot of time looking for small resonances in
the MHz region).  I am at this point trying to decided if I have been
incredibly lucky (and that's generally NOT been my experience) or
there's some other factor(s) that need to be considered before deciding
whether the "resonance" is likely to manifest itself (and I need to take
the appropriate steps to guard against it). =20

I'd love to hear how a person would practically reproduce the effect
(from a via between 2 planes), and the reverse (how to keep it from
happening).  Actually, I've heard ALL KINDS of things I should do to
keep it from happening.  To date, I've not implemented any of them in my
test boards since I haven't been able to reproduce the phenomenon
myself.  I am respectfully skeptical that I'm likely to see it.  I think
there are are other factors that aren't being articulated that increase
or decrease the chance of it occuring.  Perhaps these might be:
1) the statement "The only difference between the coax and the board is
the impedance"?  That seems like a huge difference to me.
2) the phenomenon can only occur on a test board without any vias
connecting the 2 planes (at least to the distances we've been talking
about - 12", for instance).  My test boards typically have only ground
planes (they're test boards, after all), and have vias connecting the
planes wherever I have launch structures, and sometimes elsewhere.

Others?

Jeff Loyer