[SI-LIST] Re: IC package

  • From: "Andrew Ingraham" <a.ingraham@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 21:49:28 -0400

Steve Weir wrote:

> ...  I thought that virtually everyone who had two or more
> semesters of physics knew this ...

Yeah, they probably taught it.  But making the connection from classroom to
practical applications isn't guaranteed.  Photoelectric effect is something
you don't normally think devices do unless they were designed for it.  But
it's not something you need to design into an IC.  I'll bet lots of
engineers don't realize that, or don't remember it from their physics
classes (having never encountered it).

I learned my lesson about photoelectric effects in my first engineering job,
when I added some protection diodes (in glass packages) to a circuit and saw
funny stuff when the lights went on.

Regards,
Andy

List FAQ wiki page is located at: