[SI-LIST] Re: IC Receiver Design for Low Jitter

  • From: "D. C. Sessions" <dcs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 09:42:23 -0700

On Friday 13 July 2001 08:44, you wrote:

> I have a question that some IC design guru could help with.  The issue is
> how much additional random jitter is added to an incoming signal by the
> receiver.  Let's assume the receiver is driven well beyond threshold, so
> incoming signal strength is not an issue.  Further, the signalling is
> discrete binary amplitude (digital).

The dominant random jitter contribution in the receiver is from supply and
substrate noise.  Supply noise is pretty easy to both control and to
model, but substrate noise is something of a black art for the time being.

> When such a circuit is done at the PCB level by an RF designer, a stability
> analysis is done to ensure there is no gain peaking or marginally stable
> behavior of the circuit.  Any noise generated by devices in the circuit is
> magnified by gain peaking resulting from unintentional feedback.  This
> feedback can occur within the devices themselves and depends on the
> reflections and matching within the circuit.  An extreme case of a
> marginally stable condition can cause brief periods of oscillation as the
> signal transitions, making the exact timing of the edge more uncertain,
> thus adding jitter.

On-chip we're generally operating at much lower Q than on-board.
This usually results in great frustration, but occasionally someone like
you reminds us that it's not all bad.

> When considering this situation for IC design the situation becomes
> unclear.  I've discussed methodologies with analog ASIC designers.  The
> tools used are some form of Spice.  None of the designers mentioned any
> consideration of stability.  If the instability in the circuit is at a very
> high frequency, Spice may not reveal it due to the finite time step
> duration.  Is there a concern in the IC design case?

As a rule, the timesteps are both dynamic (shorter steps when things are
happening) and much, much shorter than the Ft of the active devices.
In other words, for frequencies that present any kind of modeling issue
the gain is long, long gone.

That said, I've been a bit surprised at how few CMOS I/O designers
do any frequency-domain analysis.  It's been a non-issue for long
enough that the practice has been forgotten or something, but from
some of my own experiences it's heading for front-burner status again.
I'd suggest asking your ASIC house for AC stability data (don't forget
to check for sensitivity completeness) on any high-performance I/Os
that you're considering.  (Yes, that's a subtle plug.)

--
| I'm old enough that I don't have to pretend to be grown up.|
+----------- D. C. Sessions <dcs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> ----------+