[SI-LIST] Re: post layout SI analysis

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 09:38:33 -0700

Ken,

Ken Cantrell wrote:

> Fabrizio,
> That wasn't the question.  I didn't ask for opinions, just data.  Don't want
> to know your "favorite".  Your favorite works for you in your work paradigm,
> and may not work for someone else.  Let's keep this unbiased.
> Ken

The original post for this thread was from Andy Barr.
Here was his question:

>I am looking for recommendations to do post layout data extraction
>and simulation for crosstalk etc.  Anybody out there have their
>favorite method?  I am interested both in tools and in companies
>that do this as a service.

I believe Andy did want to hear what works for everyone.

For post layout data extraction and simulation at SiQual we use:

For Planar board structures and frequencies below 1 GHz we use:
Cadence SpectraQuest
Mentor Interconnectix

For precise planar studies we often use:
Ansoft 2D
Avanti Hspice

For 3D structure model extraction and Analysis we use:
Ansoft 3D
Avanti Hspice

For High Frequency structures we use:
Ansoft HFSS

There are many other very good tools available:

Apsim has some very nice "point" tools for specific jobs.
Sigrity has very good planar power analysis software.
Innoveda has several very nice planar SI tools, Hyperlynx and Quad.
Ansoft has a good package model extractor in TPA, and it's getting better.
HP has a very good high frequency planar s-parameter simulator in ADS.

We are quite successful in performing analysis of advanced designs
with the tools that we use and have developed hundreds of products with them,
at frequences ranging up to 10 GHz.  I would have no problem recommending
the other good tools above to someone who might be interested.

So many tools, so many projects ... so little time.

best regards,

scott

(p.s. - Oh, and we also perform this work as a consulting service from time to
time.)

--
Scott McMorrow
Principal Engineer