[SI-LIST] Re: IBIS Model Quality (or lack thereof)

  • From: "Charlotte &/or Roy Leventhal" <crleventhal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Andrew.Ingraham@xxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 12:05:34 -0600

All,

I know for a fact that "IBIS models stink" also applied to
data sheets, 2-port models, SPICE and S-parameters at
similar points in their histories having worked with those
entities during their development. Most of those items still
contain a lot of low quality offerings of specific data
sheets, 2-port models, SPICE and S-parameter models.

One "for instance" is a missing or inaccurate diode
resistance in the SPICE model from which (in most instances)
the IBIS model is generated. This results in clamp currents
that are unrealistically high. Sometimes to the billions of
amps as voltage swings out to the -Vcc to +2Vcc extremes.
Garbage in = garbage out. The effect on signal integrity
simulation of reflection is more clamping action than will
be seen in reality. I'm sure that others can think of more
examples.

Conversion from SPICE to IBIS introduces its own chance for
additional mistakes. I think that issue is a legitimate one
to cover in this discussion. I doubt that a discussion of
the merits of SPICE Vs IBIS is a legitimate discussion of
their relative quality. Quality in the sense of number of
errors. The quality/error issue applies across the board to
all technical information provided to users. Instead, I
advocate that a discussion of the merits of SPICE Vs IBIS
can be a beneficial education in application engineering and
the uses of different modeling techniques.

IBIS attempts to do much more, and the same time much less,
than SPICE. Much more in describing entire, often large and
complex, ICs. Much less in avoiding the need to solve what
is going on inside an IO cell. Including what happens
(dynamically) as bias, temperature, etc. change. There is no
sense in arguing the goodness or badness of SPICE Vs IBIS
without a clear understanding of what you are trying to
accomplish. If you need SPICE, use it. I don't suggest SPICE
if you need to scan an entire board of 5,000 nets that can
easily result in upwards of 30,000 simulations, many of very
complex topologies.

You may need to go another modeling technique than IBIS if
you need to dive deeper into physical behavior (table SPICE)
or if you suspect that it really doesn't handle the high
frequency (table S-parameters) analysis well enough. Use
some engineering judgement in doing so. Including, "how
close am I to my design margins?" There is such a thing as
death by analysis.

The issues of availability, completeness and accuracy apply
to all models, data sheets, application notes, etc. Our
culture, particularly the higher decision level ($) culture
in industrial companies, is often not imbued with a passion
to spend money and do well in producing technical
collateral. But, that is a subject for a new/different
thread.

Best Regards,

Roy