[SI-LIST] Hyperlynx modelling of 'wire over ground'

  • From: "Jennings, Kevin F" <Kevin.Jennings@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 07:59:28 -0600

I'm consulting on a signal integrity issue on a board and trying to use Hyp=
erLynx to model proposed changes to the net.  The BoardSim model of the PCB=
 net appears to be a fairly accurate model of reality.  When I construct a =
LineSim model of the net it also seems to be a fairly accurate model of rea=
lity.  However, when I then add a 'wire over ground' to the Linesim model t=
he HyperLynx predicted waveforms seem to be nowhere near what is actually s=
een on the reworked PCBA.

The net in question is ~20 inches long, ~40MHz clock driven by a single dri=
ver into ~50 ohm PCB with 7 loads distributed along the line; the single dr=
iver does not have nearly enough oomph to produce a clean edge on the incid=
ent wave.  What I was proposing as a rework was a wire from a second driver=
 into an appropriate spot in the net.  The Linesim model shows a relatively=
 clean edge now but adding the wire on the PCBA does not.  Instead there is=
 a ~1V 5 ns wide dip in the signal after the first incident wave switch tha=
t in some of the loads is dipping back near the Vih spec limit.

Varying the Linesim 'wire over ground' parameters (wire radius and distance=
 from ground) suggests that the proposed rework is relatively insensitive t=
o both which then suggests that the major contributor to the change in the =
signal (from the model's perspective) is the change in the net topology and=
 available drive that occurs by adding the second driver and wire, which is=
 as I expected.

The fact that reality diverges so far from the model basically renders the =
model useless for testing changes from a model perspective.

Does Linesim maybe not do well when modeling multiple drivers on a net?
Does Linesim maybe not model 'wire over ground' very well?

Anything else that I'm missing that might explain the wide discrepancy betw=
een model and reality when wiring in a second driver given that the model w=
as fairly accurate with the unmodified PCBA?

Thanks for your input.

Kevin Jennings

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net