[SI-LIST] TDR vs. VNA? Which to purchase?

  • From: Tom Cipollone <tom_cip_11551@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 06:46:50 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

  I realize that this thread has been done before, but as we all know,
technology changes pretty fast, and what might have been true a year or two
ago, may not still be true today.

  I am ready to make a large investment in signal integrity test equipment for
my company. I'm probably no more than a week away from the decision. As some of
you will no doubt suggest to get both, let me just say that I can not afford
both. I will have one or the other.

  I have had the demos and seen the equipment.

  What I do for a living is design boards for digital video, that are comprised
of many differential pairs, routed closely together. Rising edges are in the
neighborhood of 100 ps. I want to be able to find and modify discontinuities
(either capacitive or inductive), determine crosstalk between the pairs and
measusre jitter (yes, I will need a signal source for that).

  If this were as little as two years ago I would have believed that the VNA
solution would have been the most versatile. However, Tektronix has made a lot
of progress with their TDR equipment and with their "Iconnect" software. Also,
there is a big difference in price between the TDR solution and the VNA
solution.

  In appealing to the SI group for opinions I am trying to go beyond my own
predjudice and the marketing hype.

  Thank You
  Tom

List technical documents are available at: