[SI-LIST] Re: Hyperlynx modelling of 'wire over ground'

  • From: "Curt McNamara" <CurtM@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Jennings, Kevin F" <Kevin.Jennings@xxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 09:09:42 -0600

There are several possibilities. From your description it appears you =
have a net with driver and multiple receivers in LineSim. You then add =
another transmission line with another driver and tie it into the first =
transmission line. Is that correct? Do you have both drivers active at =
the same time?

In the real board, is this second transmission line an actual wire on a =
PCB?=20

If these are all correct, here are some possibilities:
The actual wire does not have the impedance you model.
The actual wire has significant parasitics which you haven't modeled.

In general we avoid multiple drivers on a single line. There are several =
issues: output circuitry may not parallel nicely; propagation delay to =
inputs may be different; pulses originating at different line lengths =
arrive at receivers at different times, leading to reflections like you =
observe.

For the case you described we would commonly use series termination at =
the driver. Small resistors can often be placed between package leads =
and solder pads to prove this out.

                                                Curt

Curt McNamara, P.E.=A0// principal electrical engineer=20
Logic Product Development
411 Washington Ave. N. Suite 400
Minneapolis, MN 55401
T // 612.436.5178
F // 612.672.9489
www.logicpd.com=20
This message (including any attachments) contains confidential =
information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is =
protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should =
copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action =
based on it, is strictly prohibited.