[SI-LIST] High speed serial links over copper cables

  • From: jhasson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 09:05:47 +0200

Hi,
I have been looking at the possibility of setting up a high speed (about
2.5Gbit/s) serial link over a 10 m copper cable. In order to reduce weight
and number of cables, a focus was given to single ended options. The
standard that comes up is SMPTE424M running at up to 2.97Gbit/s over a
long (much more than 10 m) 1694A belden coaxial cable. I would like to be
able to use the physical layer but not to transmit video. Is there a
drawback in using chips for SPMTE424M while for instance using the 8B/10B
encoding instead of SMPTE scrambling ? I would not encounter the
pathological data (the standard DC blocking capacitor could be
reconsidered) then but are there any tricks to consider that would impact
the link ? As a more general question, how come only video field seems to
have developped high speed single ended video transmission ?

Best regards,

JF

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net