[SI-LIST] Re: High speed serial links over copper cables

  • From: Hassan O. Ali <hassan@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <jhasson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 11:23:35 -0400

          BODY { font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px; }
JF,

        Three points:

        1. You can find several twinaxial cable offerings that are lighter
than Belden 1694A coaxial cable and have them operate at 2.5Gbps
differentially over a 10m length. Some popular bulk twinaxial cable
makers: Amphenol Spectra-Strip, WL Gore, Madison Cable, and Leoni. For
some standard connectors, you can also obtain cable assemblies from
such companies as Amphenol, Molex, Tyco Electronics, WL Gore, and
Leoni.

        2. Most off-the-shelf PHYs designed to operate serial links
differentially e.g. for XAUI, can also work in single-ended format
e.g. using only the positive terminal and terminating the negative
terminal with a 50-ohm load. The PHYs do not have to be designed for
SMPTE.

        3. If the PHY of your interest cannot support the 10-meter cable
length, you can use several off-the-shelf cable equalizers on your
board or use active (equalized) cables.

        If you need more info on the above, please contact me directly.

        Best regards.

        Hassan.
 On Mon 07/20/09 2:05 AM , jhasson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx sent:
  Hi,
 I have been looking at the possibility of setting up a high speed
(about
 2.5Gbit/s) serial link over a 10 m copper cable. In order to reduce
weight
 and number of cables, a focus was given to single ended options. The

 standard that comes up is SMPTE424M running at up to 2.97Gbit/s over
 long (much more than 10 m) 1694A belden coaxial cable. I would like
to be
 able to use the physical layer but not to transmit video. Is there a

 drawback in using chips for SPMTE424M while for instance using the
8B/10B
 encoding instead of SMPTE scrambling ? I would not encounter the
 pathological data (the standard DC blocking capacitor could be
 reconsidered) then but are there any tricks to consider that would
impact
 the link ? As a more general question, how come only video field
seems to
 have developped high speed single ended video transmission ?
 Best regards,
 JF
field
 //www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list [2]