[SI-LIST] Re: Help Explaining Microstrip

  • From: Hal Murray <hmurray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 12:28:05 -0700

> More than 40 years ago, one of the members of the amateur radio group
> I  belonged to at the time was shown round the VLF high power
> transmitting  station at Rugby UK. He said that what most demonstrated
> the power of  the Tx was seeing the two wires of the open wire feeders
> springing  towards each other every time the morse key was pressed.
> No need for  a strain gauge there.

Many years ago, the Exploratorium (San Francisco science museum,
exploratorium.edu) had an exhibit that demonstrated that.  (It's gone now.)

You stepped on a pedal to turn it on.  There was a loud hummm, probably a big
transformer.  There were 3 vertical wires, about an inch in outside diameter
and 8 or 10 feet long, suspended from the top.  As you stepped on the switch
they moved slightly.  One jumped away from the others, the other two got
closer to each other.  There was a handle on one of them so you could push a
wire around and feel the forces.

(It was a long time ago.  My memory might have scrambled something.)

That might make a good science project.  How much current would you need to
be able to feel the forces?

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: