[SI-LIST] Re: Help Explaining Microstrip

  • From: olaney@xxxxxxxx
  • To: dave.instone@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 09:55:35 -0700

If you go to the science museum in Boston, there is a fun demo where you
push a button to make some very large high voltage capacitors dump into a
solenoid inductor.  Just above that, there is an aluminum disk on a
vertical pipe.  When the capacitors dump, the disk shoots nearly to the
ceiling, and it's a high ceiling.  So yes, I'd say the force is
repulsive.  But why not get a power supply and some floppy wire and
convince yourself?  An auto battery should grunt enough current to
satisfy anyone.  BTW, the forces in the solenoid are in two directions.
The turns want to expand radially, while the coil wants to contract along
its axis.

Orin

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net