[SI-LIST] Re: Help Explaining Microstrip

  • From: "Mark Randol" <Mark.Randol@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "SI-LIST Reflector" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 08:26:40 -0700

It may also be worth pointing out that what contains the EM field in the
transmission line (microstrip, coax, waveguide, et al) is the surface
currents that flow in the 'outer wall' of the transmission media due to
those field.  The point could be argued that the field is created by the
currents since one can't exist without the other. =20

~"You pays your money and chooses your frame of reference." - unknown

That is unless we're talking about something like a light pipe
(dielectric waveguide).  That contains the EM energy by bending or
reflecting it back into the middle by varying dielectric properties.
Probably my terminology isn't exact here since most of what I know about
them is that they exist and I've seen them. =20

--
Mark Randol, RF Evaluation & Application Engineer
ON Semiconductor

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: