[SI-LIST] Re: Guard traces for differential pairs

  • From: Duane Takahashi <duanet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: damonjbowser@xxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 09:25:00 -0700

Hi Damon:

I don't think you can look at the L and C matrices, and determine if the
xtalk will be capacitive or inductive.  As Scott points out, they move
together.

IMHO, you need to take into account the driver's impedance and the
load's impedance.  To me, packages look inductive: bond wires with
traces over perforated reference planes.  Flip chip helps a lot, but you
still have the perforated planes.

When the driver fires, the inductance forces the voltage wave to lead
the current wave.  This phase relationship travels down the line.  To
the load, the line's impedance is no longer purely real, and has an
imaginary component to it.

In this case, the capacitive and inductive forward xtalk components do
not cancel, and the inductance xtalk dominates.

Duane

List archives are viewable at: