[SI-LIST] Re: Guard traces for differential pairs

  • From: Duane Takahashi <duanet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 08:56:04 -0700

It also depends on the type of crosstalk: electric or magnetic (
capacitive or inductive ).  If it's magnetic, guard traces won't help.
If it's capacitive, guards will help but will leave you with the
'magnetic remainder' of the xtalk.

I've seen high impedance lines, more than 60 ohms, exhibit inductive
xtalk.  My guess is guard traces would not have helped in this case.

Regards,
Duane

> Sogo,
>
> It is true that guard traces can INCREASE crosstalk, but
> this can be avoided (and crosstalk in fact can be REDUCED)
> if the via stitching is frequent enough.  Between each
> stitching, there is a half-wavelength resonator, with a
> lowest resonance frequency of fres=1/(2*tpd), where
> tpd is the propagation delay between two stitching vias.
> As long as the bandwidth of the signal on the structure
> is safely below this resonance frequency, there should be no
> problem with signal integrity.
>
> Regards,
>
> Istvan Novak
> SUN Microsystems

Duane Takahashi              phone: 408-235-4200
Greenfield Networks            fax: 408-727-7790
3260 Jay St.                 email: duanet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Santa Clara, CA 95054

List archives are viewable at: